Time to GET CREATIVE and SPEAK OUT about the #1 KILLER of YOUNG PEOPLE
WIN A SHARE OF $27,000!
Video and Graphic Design
Social Media Campaign
The Create Real Impact Contest calls on students, ages 14-22, to showcase their solutions and strategies to stop the #1 killer of young people–car crashes caused by reckless and distracted driving.
Students submit one entry into one of two categories: Video or Graphic Design. Get local community champions involved, such as your local first responder agencies and elected officials, for another chance to win in the Community Champions Bonus Points category.
Impact Teen Drivers invites high schools to create original social media campaigns showcasing SOLUTIONS to the very real problem of distracted driving. Include a 30-second PSA video in your social media campaign to empower your community to help stop distracted driving!
We can’t wait to see your creative and positive solutions and strategies for ending distracted driving and how you get your community involved in helping to stop preventable car crashes!
CREATE REAL IMPACT CONTEST DATES
Contest Opens: October 17, 2022 at 12:01 A.M. (ET)
Registration Closes: April 10, 2023 at 11:59 P.M. (ET)
Contest Closes: April 27, 2023 at 5:00 P.M. (ET)
Bring Impact Teen Drivers evidence-based teen programs to your school at no cost. Contact us to learn more about ITD!SCHEDULE YOUR SCHOOL PRESENTATION
The Create Real Impact Contest is your chance to make a positive difference in your community and help stop reckless and distracted driving! Join Impact Teen Drivers (ITD) in our mission to stop the number one killer of teens–car crashes.
High School Social Media Campaign Category: A group of high school students, working with a teacher or advisor, are eligible to win an educational grant for their school by creating a social media campaign to share with their school and the wider community. Win up to $10,000 for the school! The social media campaign must include at least one :30 PSA video. ONLY TEACHERS, SCHOOL-APPROVED MENTORS OR ADVISORS, OR ADMINISTRATORS MAY REGISTER THEIR HIGH SCHOOL FOR THE SOCIAL MEDIA CAMPAIGN CATEGORY.
High School Social Media Campaign Category Prizes
$10,000, $5,000, and $2,500
Video and Graphic Design Category: Individual students may enter one :30 video PSA OR one graphic design into the Create Real Impact Contest for a chance to win an educational grant for themselves!
Video Category Prizes
$1,000, $500, and $250
Graphic Design Category Prizes
$1,000, $500, and $250
Community Champions Bonus Points Category: Individual students who have submitted a video or a graphic design can compete to win additional educational grant money by working with local community champions, such as first responders and elected officials, to post their entry or official ITD content to the community champion’s official social media platform or newsletter.
Community Champions Bonus Points Category Prizes
$1,500, $1,000, and $500
Positive Community Norming
Amplify the positive behaviors and beliefs of drivers and passengers that are already taking place, rather than focusing solely on risky behaviors. For example, a positive community norms approach would state “94% of young people agree that passengers are a distraction while driving” rather than “We all drive distracted and it needs to stop.”
Expand the Messaging
We also encourage participants to go beyond addressing just phone-use; behind the wheel distractions include texting and talking on the phone, but also applying make-up, messing around with friends, adjusting the GPS or radio/shuffling the playlist, eating or drinking, or anything that takes your attention away from the task of driving!
Safety First, and Keep It Positive
Focus on SOLUTIONS, not just the problems of reckless and distracted driving. Demonstrate those solutions in your high school’s campaign or your individual entry! All videos, graphic designs, and social media posts must show safety features being used, including seat belts. Please do not show crash scenes, blood, or other scare tactics.
Video and Graphic Design FAQs
Can I enter the same entry from last year/last contest?
How does the Community Champions Bonus Points category work? I am entering as an individual student.
I received a rejection email and want to re-submit a new entry/I made a spelling error and want to edit my entry.
Can I be a bonus points winner and a grand prize winner?
Can I enter more than one category/more than one entry?
My friend is collaborating with me. Can the award be in both of our names?
Can I have a friend work on the entry with me?
How do I register for this contest?
I’m not sure if I am eligible to enter this contest. Who is eligible?
Social Media Campaign FAQs
How does the Community Champions Bonus Points category work for the high school category?
What is Positive Community Norming and how can we use it in our entry?
How will our campaign be judged?
When will the winners be announced?
How do teachers or advisors submit the highlight video and social media campaign?
When does the contest begin and end?
How many students can participate in the contest?
What’s the deadline and what do we need?
When can we begin to work on our campaign?
We are registering our school for the high school social media campaign. Do I also need to make an account on the website?
What happens after a teacher or advisor registers?
How do I know if my students and I are eligible to enter the contest?
Work with a teacher or school-approved advisor or mentor to register your high school for the high school social media campaign contest as well!
- Register and make an account. You will choose either “Video” or “Graphic Design” from the dropdown menu in the registration form.
- Upload your entry into your profile, and complete your profile. Remember, your entry must be original for this contest period and you may enter either a Video or a Graphic Design.
- Your entry will be approved within 72 hours of upload. After approval, your entry will be publicly viewable, and you’ll be able to share your entry!
- If your entry needs edits or does not meet the contest requirements, an Impact Teen Drivers staff member will get in contact with you.
- Get your community involved! Participate in the Community Champions Bonus Points category for another chance to win. More information on the Community Champions Bonus Points category is in the Official Rules.
- Get your school involved and win up to $10,000 for your school! Work with a teacher or advisor and a group of your peers to create a social media campaign category. The teacher or approved advisor must register the school. Check out the Agreement & Guidelines and the Official Rules for more information on the social media campaign category.
- Contest closes April 27, 2023 at 5:00 P.M. (ET), so all entries and any Community Champions Bonus Points information/pictures/screenshots must be submitted by that time.
- Register your high school no later than April 10, 2023, 11:59 P.M. (ET).
- Teachers, advisors, and mentors will receive an email from Impact Teen Drivers to confirm eligibility for the contest within three business days of registration. If you do not receive an email confirming your registration within three business days, please email [email protected]
- Start the campaign action planning process with your students. Your social media campaign must include:
- At least one 30-second PSA video
- At least five social media posts
- A press release you share with at least one local news outlet or community information organization
- Make sure your project meets ALL requirements for your category. Requirements are listed in the Create Real Impact Contest Participation Agreement, Submission Guidelines, and Scoring Rubric. Of course, you will have already read those once before reaching this step. Go ahead and reread the Rules and the Agreement, Guidelines, and Rubric anyway!
- While extremely dangerous and highly illegal, being under the influence of alcohol or drugs while driving is NOT the focus of this contest. Entries focused on drinking alcohol or using drugs and driving WILL NOT be accepted.
- Implement your campaign, including distributing your press release to a local news outlet or community information organization. Keep proof that your press release was shared. Your highlight video should show how your local community was engaged and involved!
- Email a publicly viewable YouTube link to your highlight video and a publicly viewable Google Drive folder with your campaign components by the contest closing date, April 27, 2023, at 5:00 P.M. (ET) to [email protected]
All previous Create Real Impact Contest student participants must create a new account. Your previous account is no longer available.