Time to GET CREATIVE and SPEAK OUT about the #1 KILLER of YOUNG PEOPLE
WIN A SHARE OF $27,000!
Student Video and Graphic Design
High School Campaign
The Create Real Impact Contest calls on students, ages 14-22, to showcase their positive solutions and strategies to stop the #1 killer of young people–car crashes caused by reckless and distracted driving.
Students submit one entry into one of two categories: Video or Graphic Design. Get local community champions involved, such as your local first responder agencies and elected officials, for another chance to win in the Community Champions Bonus Points category.
The high school campaign invites schools, classrooms, or student groups to showcase creative SOLUTIONS to the very real problem of distracted driving. Create a 30-second PSA video, design graphics, and post on social media platforms to empower your community to help put a stop to reckless and distracted driving!
We can’t wait to see your creative and positive solutions and strategies for ending distracted driving and how you get your community involved in helping to stop preventable car crashes!
CREATE REAL IMPACT CONTEST DATES
Contest Closes for All Categories, Entries Due: April 25, 2024 at 5:00 P.M. (ET)
The Create Real Impact Contest is your chance to make a positive difference in your community and help stop reckless and distracted driving! Join Impact Teen Drivers (ITD) in our mission to stop the number one killer of teens–car crashes.
High School Campaign Category: A group of high school students, working with a teacher or advisor, are eligible to win an educational grant for their school by creating a positive campaign to share with their school and the wider community about putting a stop to reckless and distracted driving. Win up to $10,000 for your school! The campaign must include at least one :30 PSA video and demonstrate social media engagement through multiple posts. ONLY TEACHERS, SCHOOL-APPROVED MENTORS OR ADVISORS, OR ADMINISTRATORS MAY REGISTER THEIR HIGH SCHOOL FOR THE SOCIAL MEDIA CAMPAIGN CATEGORY.
High School Campaign Category Prizes
$10,000, $5,000, and $2,500
Video and Graphic Design Category: Individual students may enter one :30 video PSA OR one graphic design into the Create Real Impact Contest for a chance to win an educational grant for themselves!
Video Category Prizes
$1,000, $500, and $250
Graphic Design Category Prizes
$1,000, $500, and $250
Community Champions Bonus Points Category: Individual students who have submitted a video or a graphic design can compete to win additional educational grant money by working with local community champions, such as first responders and elected officials, to post their entry or official ITD content to the community champion’s official social media platform or newsletter.
Community Champions Bonus Points Category Prizes
$1,500, $1,000, and $500
Positive Community Norming
Amplify the positive behaviors and beliefs of drivers and passengers that are already taking place, rather than focusing solely on risky behaviors. Check out ITD’s Positive Community Norming Posters for examples.
Expand the Messaging
ITD encourages participants to go beyond addressing just phone-use; behind the wheel distractions include texting and talking on the phone, but also applying make-up, messing around with friends, adjusting the GPS or radio/shuffling the playlist, eating or drinking, or anything that takes your attention away from the task of driving!
Safety First, and Keep It Positive
Focus on showcasing POSITIVE SOLUTIONS, not just the problems of reckless and distracted driving in your content. All videos, graphic designs, and social media posts must show safety features being used, including seat belts. Please do not show crash scenes, blood, or other scare tactics.
Video and Graphic Design FAQs
Can I enter the same entry from last year/last contest?
How does the Community Champions Bonus Points category work? I am entering as an individual student.
I received a rejection email and want to re-submit a new entry/I made a spelling error and want to edit my entry.
Can I be a bonus points winner and a grand prize winner?
Can I enter more than one category/more than one entry?
Can my friend and I collaborate on our entry, and both win the award?
How do I register for this contest?
I’m not sure if I am eligible to enter this contest. Who is eligible?
High School Campaign FAQs
How does the Community Champions Bonus Points category work for the high school category?
What is Positive Community Norming and how can we use it in our entry?
How will our campaign be judged?
When will the winners be announced?
How do teachers or advisors submit the highlight video and social media campaign?
When does the contest begin and end?
How many students can participate in the contest?
What’s the deadline and what do we need?
When can we begin to work on our campaign?
We are registering our school for the high school social media campaign. Do I also need to make an account on the website?
What happens after a teacher or advisor registers?
How do I know if my students and I are eligible to enter the contest?
- Register and make an account. You will choose either “Video” or “Graphic Design” from the dropdown menu in the registration form. Upload your entry, either your Graphic Design or a YouTube link to your Video.
- Remember, your entry must be original for this contest period and you may enter either a Video or a Graphic Design. You create an account and submit your entry at the same time.
- Get your community involved! Participate in the Community Champions Bonus Points category for another chance to win. More information on the Community Champions Bonus Points category is in the Official Rules.
- Your entry will be approved within 72 hours of upload. After approval, your entry will be publicly viewable, and you’ll be able to share your entry!
- If your entry needs edits or does not meet the contest requirements, an Impact Teen Drivers staff member will get in contact with you.
- Contest closes April 25, 2024 at 5:00 P.M. (ET), so all entries and any Community Champions Bonus Points information/pictures/screenshots must be submitted by that time.
- Register your high school no later than April 10, 2024, 11:59 P.M. (ET).
- Teachers, advisors, and mentors will receive an email from Impact Teen Drivers to confirm eligibility for the contest within three business days of registration. If you do not receive an email confirming your registration within three business days, please email [email protected].
- Start the campaign action planning process with your students. Your social media campaign must include:
- At least one 30-second PSA video
- At least five social media posts
- A press release you share with at least one local news outlet or community information organization
- Make sure your project meets ALL requirements for your category. Requirements are listed in the Create Real Impact Contest Participation Agreement, Submission Guidelines, and Scoring Rubric. Of course, you will have already read those once before reaching this step. Go ahead and reread the Rules and the Agreement, Guidelines, and Rubric anyway!
- While extremely dangerous and highly illegal, being under the influence of alcohol or drugs while driving is NOT the focus of this contest. Entries focused on drinking alcohol or using drugs and driving WILL NOT be accepted.
- Implement your campaign, including distributing your press release to a local news outlet or community information organization. Keep proof that your press release was shared. Your highlight video should show how your local community was engaged and involved!
- Email a publicly viewable YouTube link to your highlight video and a publicly viewable Google Drive folder with your campaign components by the contest closing date, April 25, 2024, at 5:00 P.M. (ET) to [email protected].
You will submit your entry when you register for your account… so have your entry ready to go! Remember: YouTube links must be publicly viewable. All previous Create Real Impact Contest student participants must create a new account. Your previous account is no longer available.